Online Four Phase Sports Chaplaincy training
9 April @ 7:30 pm - 23 June @ 4:00 pm
Online Sports Chaplaincy training
In 2018 we will be offering our first online Sports Chaplaincy training, which will involve ten online sessions on Monday evenings from 7.30 until 9p.m. The sessions will run from 9 April until 18 June (excluding Queen’s Birthday 4 June). Following this trainees will attend an in-person session in Auckland on 23 June.
If you are interested in online training, then please contact Matt Hawkins.
The following sessions are taught in Four Phase training.
- Biblical basis for sports ministry
- Foundations of Sports Chaplaincy
- Key principle: presence
- Presence’s four expressions
- Pastoral care in sports settings
- Overview of Sports Chaplaincy New Zealand
- The athlete
- ‘Ole!’ – affirming athletes
- Praying with and also for athletes
- Adrenaline, stress, anxiety and depression
- Critical incidents
- Māori culture
- Active listening
- Reason for the hope – sharing the gospel with gentleness and also respect
- SCNZ’s code of conduct
- Sports organisations (includes a field trip)
- Health and safety
- Family life
- Grief, loss and transitions
- Suicide awareness
- Pathway to placement
- Developing your game plan
Following each session, time is provided for you to reflect on your learning and its application for you. Once these ‘Learning Captures’ are complete you will submit them as part of your application for membership.
After completing all four phases of online Sports Chaplaincy training, you may then apply to become an accredited Sports Chaplain. Sports Chaplains must be endorsed by their church, and also have a clean police record. We will assess your suitability for the role and then assist you with finding a placement in a sporting organisation. We have chaplains serving in local schools and clubs, as well as in representative and professional teams.
If a minimum of 5 trainees is not met, then you will be notified 2 weeks before the start date and any money you have paid will be refunded immediately.